An individual snores when the air flows from his/her mouth or nose to the lungs. This airflow then vibrates the tissues of the throat when the individual is sleeping. It can make the snoring loud and harsh. However, loud snoring can disturb the snorer’s bed and room partners a lot. Not just that, snoring lowers down the quality of sleep of a snorer too.
<a href="https://snoringaids.com/what-medication-is-good-for-snoring/" target="_blank" rel="noopener"><img class="aligncenter" src="https://snoringaids.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/what_medication_is_good_for_snoring_.jpg" alt="What Medication Is Good For Snoring? [Infographic] | Snoring Aid" /></a>
Nevertheless, it is quite difficult for a person to know that he/she snores. Some symptoms can be noticed by a person himself/herself to know that he/she snores. Still, the bed or room partners can notice the snoring in the first place.
Snoring is a problem that can be caused by numerous factors. For instance, it can be caused due to the anatomy of your sinuses and mouth, due to your consumption of alcohol, infections, allergies, cuff and cold or even by your overweight.
Whenever you sleep and move from the light sleep stage to the deep sleep stage, your muscles in your mouth roof, throat, as well as tongue, will start getting relaxed. In this way, the tissues of your throat will relax too much that they will start blocking air passages due to which snoring is caused.
When the airways become narrower than the loud snoring will be produced. The forceful airflow will increase the vibration of the tissues which will, in turn, make the snoring louder. Following are the conditions that can affect the airways and become the reason of snoring:
- Nasal issues: The chronic congestion of nose or the blocked partition amid your nostrils might contribute in causing snoring.
- Anatomy of your mouth: If you have a low and thick, soft palate then it can narrow the airways. Individuals who have gained too much weight can have additional tissues at the back of their throat which can narrow the airways.
In the same way, if the triangular piece of tissue dangling from the soft palate is extended, the airflow can be blocked, and the vibration can increase.
- Consumption of Alcohol: Snoring can be caused due to the consumption of alcohol before going to bed. Alcohol makes the throat muscles to relax and then decreases the natural defenses adjacent to the airway obstacle.
- Sleeping position: When a person sleeps on his/her back then the gravity affects the throat which narrows the airways. Most people snore when they sleep on their back.
- Sleep deprivation: If a person does not get proper sleep of 6 hours then it can lead to throat muscles relaxation which will in turn cause snoring.
Snoring is mostly linked with the sleeping disorder which is known as the Obstructive Sleep Apnea. However, it is not compulsory that all snorers have this sleeping disorder.
Still, if snoring is linked with any of the symptoms explained below, then it might be a warning to see the doctor as soon as possible.
- Noticed breathing pauses while sleeping
- Extreme daytime sleepiness
- Facing problem in concentrating
- Morning headaches
- Having a sore throat after waking up each time
- Restless sleep
- Choking or gasping overnight
- High blood pressure
- Pain in the chest at night
- Having loud snoring which disturbs your partner’s sleep
- In kids, poor attention span, behavioral problems or bad performance in school
OSA is associated with loud snoring and followed by diverse periods of silence whenever breathing stops. Ultimately, this pause in breathing might wake you up. Or else, you might wake up with a loud snort or choking sound. Also, you might sleep lightly because of disturbed sleep.
The breathing pauses pattern of this type might repeat a couple of times overnight. Individuals who have Obstructive Sleep Apnea used to encounter periods when their breathing stops or slows down 4-7 times each sleeping hour.
There are countless risk factors linked to snoring. You have to keep these risk factors in mind. We have mentioned them below:
- Consuming Alcohol: Alcohol can maximize the risk of your snoring as it relaxes the throat muscles.
- Being A Man: Men usually snores more as compared to women.
- Putting on too much weight: Individuals who are overweight can become snorers. Also, these individuals can have OSA disorder too.
- Having narrow airways naturally: Some people have big tonsils, long soft palate or adenoids naturally. Due to this reason, they become snorers.
- Inherited snoring or OSA: Many people have snoring or OSA in their family history. Inheritance is the big risk factor for Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Those people who snore more often will take it for granted. Apart from disturbing the sleep of bed partner, if snoring is linked with OSA, then you might be at risk of getting other health issues. These issues are following:
- Frequent frustration
- Sleepiness in the daytime
- A big risk of getting high blood pressure, heart attack, or even stroke
- A great risk of motor vehicle accidents because of sleep deprivation
- A great risk of behavior issues, such as aggression, facing difficulty in remembering or learning things, in children with OSA
What Doctors Mostly Prescribe?
If you have tried the snoring medications accessible to you or in case your doctor describes that serious sleeping disorder like OSA triggers snoring of yours, then your doctor may prescribe you an anti-snoring device.
CPAP is one of the most effective anti-snoring devices that is prescribed by more than 70 percent sleep specialists. It is a continuous positive airway pressure unit which is abbreviated as CPAP. It is used to force the air through the nasal and throat airways. CPAP is most helpful in treating the sleep apnea issue.
With the CPAP, an individual has to wear a mask that is hooked up to the respirator. However, numerous individuals have reported that CPAP has stopped their snoring and they can sleep better with it. Some people have also stated that it is quite uncomfortable to wear.
Other individuals feel self-conscious when they are wearing this device while sleeping with their partner. Due to this reason, more individuals are more likely to use snoring medicines instead of snoring devices.
What medication is good for snoring?
As we all know that, snoring is quite common. At times, it might become important to take medication to stop or reduce snoring. On the other hand, there are some treatments available for snoring but some are surgical, and the rest are non-surgical ones. Each type of treatment depends on the particular cause of snoring.
Well, it is hard to find the real cause of snoring since it is difficult to find the right treatment. Still, the best option is taking medicine for reducing or eliminating snoring as it suits all types of snorers. When all other methods fail to stop your snoring, then only medication is the best and only solution left.
Those individuals who are suffering from snoring for many years can make use of medication to stop it. Medicines are good to alleviate the problem and provide proper sleep to the snorer as well as his/her partner.
There are some natural and synthetic snoring medicines available in the market. Nonetheless, all of them claim to reduce or eliminate snoring issues.
According to some research studies, it has been noticed that these medicines are not effective like other snoring treatments. On the other hand, some studies have shown that they are the most efficient solution for snoring.
In this case, one has to look over his/her specialist’s recommendations. Do keep in mind that you do not have to start taking the medicines on your own. Taking the suggestion of your doctor is important. The majority of snoring medicines are of an over-the-counter type.
It is quite rare that a doctor recommends medicine to lessen the snoring issue. There are numerous devices that a doctor might prescribe if snoring is loud and major. Certainly, the natural sleep remedy is one of the cheapest and best solutions. You must try all the accessible methods before turning towards medication for snoring issues.
- Natural Snoring Medication
There are many natural snoring medicines gladly obtainable in the form of tablets and sprays. Nowadays, many people are making use of the natural Chinese snoring medication. These medications are quite effective and do not have any side effects.
Also, they are cheap. There are still many other naturally deprived chemicals that can be used to eliminate snoring. A lot of over-the-counter medication for snoring has one of many of these chemicals shown below:
- Synephrine is that chemical which is derived from the immature oranges that are bitter. It is the sort of small citrus plant which is easily found in China. The Neo-Synephrine is mostly utilized to treat the nasal congestion as well as allergies. It can be extremely useful in treating the obstruction of sinuses which can be the cause of snoring.
This chemical contains Vitamin C in large amount which works as an anti-inflammatory agent. There is only one negative point of this chemical, i.e., it is a strong stimulant. Due to this reason, it must not be taken in big doses. Those women who are expecting a baby should avoid this chemical.
- Bromelain is also a natural chemical that is present in pineapples. Just like Synephrine, it has the anti-inflammatory properties which make it more positive for lessening the mucus amount in the nasal airways and the throat.
Due to this reason, it can be effective in reducing snoring. Bromelain works even better if it is taken on an empty stomach. It is good to take it before taking a meal. Those who want to reduce or eliminate snoring can take it before going to bed.
- Coenzyme Q10 is that protein which occurs naturally in our body organs including heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas, and lungs. It is also a strong antioxidant. On the other hand, it might not be as effective in reducing snoring as the above chemicals. Still, it is known as a good sleep promoter. It can assist an individual fall into a deep sleep.
This chemical works even better when other natural chemicals take it. Like other chemicals, it must not be taken in large doses otherwise it can trigger some side effects. These side effects include dizziness, nausea or rashes. It must not be taken by the diabetic patients or anyone else who is taking insulin.
- Eucalyptus oil is also a natural chemical which is used as a snoring medication. It contains cineole which assists in lessening the respiratory inflammation. Also, this chemical helps in slowing down the production of mucus.
- Capsaicin is that chemical which occurs in the hot peppers especially cayenne. This chemical is used to make the hot peppers spicy. However, it is also considered in reducing inflammation of the respiratory system and lowering down the production of mucus. Due to this reason, it can work in reducing or eliminating snoring.
- Jasmine is utilized just like the peppermint and eucalyptus to lessen the production of mucus. It is helpful in reducing the swelling and inflammation of respiratory.
- Natural Sprays
If the natural medicines do not work for you, then you can make the most of natural anti-snoring sprays. Many sprays claim to reduce snoring or even stop it completely naturally. Well, many of them are effective in covering snoring issue.
However, there is only one negative point linked with the natural sprays, i.e., they tend to concentrate on clearing up the sinuses. Still, there is nothing wrong with it yet if you snoring issue then chances are that your sinuses are not triggering it.
Might be your sinuses will be causing snoring issues. These natural sprays can be helpful in treating cold, reducing mucus production and other sinus problems.